Other States

Man sues son for marrying outside caste

Next week, a civil court in Danapur, Patna, will decide on a lawsuit that Patna-based lawyer Sidhnath Sharma filed against his son Sushant Jasu for marrying outside his caste. Mr. Sharma has sought Rs. 1 crore and a monthly royalty of Rs. 10,000 from his son for using his name.

“The petition was heard today [Saturday] and the court is set to give a verdict next Saturday,” Ganesh Pandey, Mr. Sharma’s lawyer, told The Hindu.

Citing his petition filed on January 2, Mr. Sharma told The Hindu that his son “solemnised his marriage, violating the family norms and traditions … A son is known by the name of his father, so it is his pious duty to abide by the directions of his father.”

The Sharmas are Bhumihar Brahmins, while Mr. Jasu’s wife is an Avadhi Kurmi, an OBC community. The father said he did not object to the marriage because of caste issues but objected to the disobedience of his son.

The petition states that by “marrying in another caste, [Mr. Sushant] gave an example of satisfying his carnal desires and … he has destroyed the family ‘sanskar’ [tradition] and lowered his father’s prestige in his caste and family relations.”

Mr. Sharma said he was willing to settle for a “compromise” if his son agreed to solemnise a second marriage with the written consent of his wife.

A letter from the Editor

Dear reader,

We have been keeping you up-to-date with information on the developments in India and the world that have a bearing on our health and wellbeing, our lives and livelihoods, during these difficult times. To enable wide dissemination of news that is in public interest, we have increased the number of articles that can be read free, and extended free trial periods. However, we have a request for those who can afford to subscribe: please do. As we fight disinformation and misinformation, and keep apace with the happenings, we need to commit greater resources to news gathering operations. We promise to deliver quality journalism that stays away from vested interest and political propaganda.

Support Quality Journalism
Recommended for you
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | May 28, 2020 10:01:51 AM | https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/other-states/man-sues-son-for-marrying-outside-caste/article5617879.ece

Next Story