Delhi gang-rape victim in ‘extremely critical condition’

December 27, 2012 08:34 am | Updated December 04, 2021 11:15 pm IST - Singapore

Women during a protest against the recent gang-rape of a student, in New Delhi, on Wednesday. The victim was admitted to Mount Elizabeth hospital, Singapore today morning.

Women during a protest against the recent gang-rape of a student, in New Delhi, on Wednesday. The victim was admitted to Mount Elizabeth hospital, Singapore today morning.

Battling for life for the last 11 days, the 23-year-old Delhi gang-rape victim was flown to Singapore on Thursday in an “extremely critical condition” and was admitted to the Mount Elizabeth Hospital, a multi-organ transplant specialty hospital.

The victim, who remained on ventilator support during most part of her treatment in Safdarjung hospital in Delhi, was flown in on an air ambulance early on Thursday morning. A team of doctors and her family members accompanied her.

“The patient arrived at Mount Elizabeth Hospital’s Intensive Care Unit this morning in an extremely critical condition,” a spokesperson of the hospital told PTI. “She is being examined and the hospital is working with the Indian High Commission. We request that the privacy of the patient and family be respected,” the spokesperson said.

Earlier, the Indian High Commission in Singapore said that the plane carrying the girl landed at the Changi International Airport at 7.30 am (5 am IST).

The decision to shift the girl was taken at the highest level of the Indian government, which has declared that it will bear all the expenses of her treatment. On December 16, the girl was gang-raped and brutally assaulted in a moving bus and thrown out of it in Delhi. She underwent three surgeries but her condition remained critical.

Full medical attention

In a statement, the Indian High Commission said that the girl was receiving full medical attention at the hospital. “We assure all concerned that the patient is receiving full medical attention and the family is also being provided all possible assistance by the High Commission,” it said.

The High Commission has also conveyed that the hospital and the family's request for privacy of the patient be respected.

“We have received numerous queries regarding the condition of the patient and also many offers to help. We are deeply grateful for all of these offers,” the statement said. “At this stage, we would request that the privacy of the patient, family members as also of the medical team in attendance is fully respected so that the treatment may continue smoothly,” the statement added.

Passport expedited

In New Delhi, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said the government would spare no effort for the treatment of the victim and it would meet all the costs for her treatment.

In a statement Mr Shinde said when the government was advised by a team of doctors that she may be shifted abroad for treatment, it had ordered India’s High Commissioner in Singapore to make necessary arrangements.

“Considering the travel time, the doctors have suggested Mt Elizabeth Hospital, Singapore... Indian doctors have spoken to the doctors of the said hospital and shared the details of the patient,” he said.The minister said arrangements have also been made for the family to stay in Singapore with the patient as the treatment may stretch to many weeks.

Official sources said passport and Singapore visa for the girl and some of her family members who accompanied her were expedited by the External Affairs Ministry.

Medical Superintendent of the Safdarjung Hospital Dr B D Athani on Wednesday night said that “the treatment might take longer.” Dr Athani said the girl has suffered severe intestinal and abdominal injuries and more than once she would have to undergo treatment in Singapore which could take several weeks.Parts of the girl’s intestine were surgically removed.

“She was being provided the best available aid by a team of specialized doctors. She had to be operated upon thrice.”

The victim, whom doctors described as “psychologically composed and optimistic about future”, had shown signs of improvement during treatment but her condition worsened in after her pulse rate plummeted for a brief period on Tuesday.The periodic bouts of infection were also a source of concern for the doctors.

0 / 0
Sign in to unlock member-only benefits!
  • Access 10 free stories every month
  • Save stories to read later
  • Access to comment on every story
  • Sign-up/manage your newsletter subscriptions with a single click
  • Get notified by email for early access to discounts & offers on our products
Sign in


Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.