Delhi gang-rape: victim narrates the tale of horror

December 23, 2012 03:46 am | Updated November 16, 2021 10:01 pm IST - NEW DELHI:

The statement of the 23-year-old physiotherapy student, who was gang-raped and assaulted on a moving bus on December 16, was recorded by a sub-divisional magistrate at the Safdarjung Hospital here on Friday night.

The doctors on Saturday described her frame of mind as positive.

In her detailed statement, which was hailed as “fearless and bold” by Deputy Commissioner of Police (South District) Chhaya Sharma, the victim provided an account of the horror she and her male friend went through on the fateful night. Ms. Sharma said the woman’s statement corroborated that of her 28-year-old software engineer friend.

The victim purportedly told the SDM that around 9.30 p.m. while she and her friend were standing at a bus stop at Munirka, they were called into the bus by the juvenile accused Rahul (name changed), who told them that the bus would go towards Palam. On entering the vehicle, the victims found that in all there were six others besides them in the vehicle.

A few minutes into the ride, her friend got suspicious as the bus had deviated from the supposed route and the other occupants had shut the door. When he objected, the six accused taunted them, asking what they were doing together so late in the night.

Scuffle ensues

A scuffle then ensued between the software engineer and others. The 28-year-old was hit on the head by Ram Singh. The woman was then dragged to the rear end of the vehicle by Rahul and Akshay Singh.

In her statement, the woman said that after hitting her friend, who fell unconscious, Ram Singh went to the back of the bus and was the first to force himself on her. It is learnt that the girl had heard some names while the attackers were calling out to each other.

As they were being brutalised, the attackers threatened both the victims that they would be thrown out of the bus. Initially, the accused had only intended to throw the boy out of the vehicle but later they changed their mind after both the victims fell unconscious due to the torture they were subjected to.

About 30 minutes after boarding the bus, the two were thrown off it by the accused at Mahipalpur. The attackers had also robbed the victims of their clothes and belongings.

Meanwhile, the Delhi Police on Saturday initiated action against three personnel for alleged inaction in a robbery case involving the bus on which the gang-rape and assault was committed.

Constables Kailash, Ashok and Sandeep of the Hauz Khas station have been suspended for not acting promptly when the occupants of the bus had robbed a carpenter, Ramadhar, after giving him a lift in their area just before committing the gang-rape.

In another development, five personnel of the Connaught Place police station, sub-inspector Rajeshwar, head constable Inder Pal and constables Jagmal, Pardeep and Chottelal, were placed under suspension after Union Home Secretary R.K. Singh found some people drinking in the open in the vicinity of the police station where these personnel were on duty.

0 / 0
Sign in to unlock member-only benefits!
  • Access 10 free stories every month
  • Save stories to read later
  • Access to comment on every story
  • Sign-up/manage your newsletter subscriptions with a single click
  • Get notified by email for early access to discounts & offers on our products
Sign in


Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.