In the wake of the rape of a six-year-old girl in a private school, the City Police has issued 11-point guidelines to be implemented by all schools by the end of August. The guidelines have been issued under the Karnataka Police Act, 1963, and schools that do not implement them will be prosecuted under section 188 of the Indian Penal Code (negligence leading to injury or death of a person), said M.N. Reedi, City Police Commissioner.
The private school where the six-year-old was raped by the skating instructor has been given time till August 14 to implement all the guidelines.
Some of the important guideline are:
* Schools have to compulsorily install GPS and CCTV in all school buses and CCTV in school premises
* Schools authorities must appoint Floor Vigilance Officer
* After dropping the children to school, the bus drivers and attendants must be isolated from the children
* Only authorisised persons should be allowed inside the school premises
* Schools must issue identity cards to parents, who pick up and drop their wards to school
* In case parents with identity cards cannot come to pick up their wards, they must compulsorily inform the school teacher concerned through SMS, besides authorising someone else to pick up their child.