Angry parents not to send their wards to school

July 17, 2014 12:49 am | Updated November 16, 2021 06:56 pm IST - BANGALORE

Scores of angry parents staged a protest outside a reputed private school in Marathahalli on Wednesday after the sexual assault of the six-year-old girl, allegedly by two staff members came to light on Tuesday.

The parents have also decided not to send their wards to school on Thursday. The management later sent out a message that the school would remain closed on Thursday.

The parents demanded strict action against the perpetrators and stepping up of safety measures for students. The parents were livid as the school management did not address the parents and tried to “brush aside” the issue.

The police arrived on the scene to control the situation, as the parents tried to enter the closed gates.

“After home, school is the next place, which is considered a safe place. But this incident has shocked us. The school premises have several isolated areas, which is not safe for our children. We want the school to address our demands, only then will we send our wards to school,” a parent said. Some of the demands of the parents include installation of CCTV cameras and background verification for employees. Meanwhile, Block Education Officer South 4, Ramesh S.M. who visited the school and conducted an inquiry, said that a report will be submitted to the Commissioner of Public Instruction. “Action will be initiated on the management of the school based on the police enquiry. The police have confiscated the cameras,” Mr. Ramesh said. Meanwhile, repeated attempts to contact the principal of the school went in vain. A representative of the school said that the school was “not willing to disclose anything”, but said that they would “fully cooperate with the police.”

DCP (South East) T.D. Pawar said that two of the school staff (a physical instructor and a security guard of the school) had been detained for questioning. He said the parents had consulted a private doctor after the child complained of pain before they approached the police. “The child was medically examined at Vydehi Hospital on Wednesday. The report is yet awaited,” he said.

Top News Today

Sign in to unlock member-only benefits!
  • Access 10 free stories every month
  • Save stories to read later
  • Access to comment on every story
  • Sign-up/manage your newsletter subscriptions with a single click
  • Get notified by email for early access to discounts & offers on our products
Sign in


Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.