A major fire was averted by the employees of a petrol bunk in Kandanchavadi after a fuel dispensing machine caught fire in the fuel station on Wednesday evening.
Police said two persons were attempting to start a two-wheeler near the petrol bunk around 5.20 p.m. on Wednesday. However, suddenly a spark emanated from the silencer of the two-wheeler which caused a fire in the pipe of a fuel dispensing machine. Immediately, a water tanker proceeding on the Rajiv Gandhi Salai was stopped and the employees of the petrol station extinguished the fire.
The Thoraipakkam police, along with a fire tender from the Thiruvanmiyur station, rushed to the spot to investigate the incident.