Death toll in Valley protests against Afzal hanging rises to 3

Updated - June 13, 2016 05:15 am IST

Published - February 11, 2013 12:12 pm IST - Srinagar

Army officials during the curfew in Sopore, Jammu& Kashmir. Photo: Nissar Ahmad

Army officials during the curfew in Sopore, Jammu& Kashmir. Photo: Nissar Ahmad

A youth shot in firing by security forces during protests in the Kashmir Valley against the hanging of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru died early on Monday taking the death toll to three since clashes broke out last Saturday.

Jammu and Kashmir government announced a magisterial inquiry into the incidents leading to the death of the three youths during the protests, as the Valley remained under curfew for the third day today.

“Concerned Deputy Commissioners and SSPs (of Ganderbal and Baramulla districts) were directed to lodge FIRs and conduct magisterial enquiry into the death cases immediately,” an official spokesman quoting Divisional Commissioner Kashmir Asgar Samoon said.

The situation on Monday was peaceful so far with no reports of any untoward incident from anywhere in the Valley, official sources said.

Ubaid Mushtaq, who was injured allegedly in firing by security forces at Watergam village in Baramulla district on Sunday, succumbed to injuries at 3 am, Medical Superintendent of SKIMS Hospital Aijaz Mustafa said.

Two youths drowned in a river in Ganderbal on Sunday when they tried to escape security personnel while being chased during a demonstration by protesters.

The body of one of the youths -- Zameer Ahmad Dar -- was fished out from Jhelum river in Ganderbal district Monday morning, official sources said. The other youth who drowned was identified as Tariq Ahmad Bhat.

An irate mob thrashed Executive Magistrate Ganderbal Ghulam Mohammad Khatana and his personal security guard Fayaz Ahmad as body of Dar was being taken to Sub-District Hospital for post-mortem, official sources said.

The sources said Mr Khatana and his guard had to be rescued by police by firing tear smoke shells at the protesters. Both of them were admitted to a hospital.

The restrictions on the movement of people in the Valley were also further tightened in view of apprehension of widespread protests to commemorate the 29th death anniversary of JKLF founder Mohammad Maqbool Bhat.

Bhat, who was sentenced to death for murder of a police officer, was hanged inside Tihar Jail on this day in 1984.

As many as 14 companies of BSF were rushed to Kashmir Valley from Jammu to beef up the security apparatus.

>Kashmir’s tale of two executions

0 / 0
Sign in to unlock member-only benefits!
  • Access 10 free stories every month
  • Save stories to read later
  • Access to comment on every story
  • Sign-up/manage your newsletter subscriptions with a single click
  • Get notified by email for early access to discounts & offers on our products
Sign in


Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.