One more killed as CRPF opens fire in Sopore

A 24-year-old woman was killed and eight others were injured when CRPF opened fire on protesters near Sopore in north Kashmir on Sunday

Updated - November 28, 2021 09:40 pm IST

Published - September 19, 2010 10:47 pm IST - SRINAGAR:

A 24-year-old woman was killed and eight others were injured when CRPF opened fire on protesters near Sopore in north Kashmir on Sunday.

Reports said that large number of people defied curfew in Nathipora village near Sopore and took out a procession shouting pro-freedom slogans. The CRPF and police tried to stop them but they did not relent.

Residents told The Hindu over phone that in the firing nine people were injured. Later the woman, identified as Mubeena, died in hospital. This led to massive protests in the area.

With this casualty, the death toll in the clashes since June 11 has crossed 108.

No official version was available as mobile phones went dead in north Kashmir.

Earlier authorities reimposed curfew in Srinagar and other major towns. It had been relaxed for seven hours here on Saturday.

Reports said Baramulla was not under curfew though restrictions were in place.

Three persons injured in firing on protesters during the past one week died during the day. One was injured at Palhalan in Pattan area of Baramulla, another at Khanabal in Anantnag and the third at Lethpora in Pulwama. Among the victims was Bilal Ahmad, district president of the youth wing of the People's Democratic Party who was injured in Anantnag on Saturday.

People's Democratic Party president Mehbooba Mufti has alleged that the State government was trying to sabotage the visit of the all-party delegation to the State on Monday, through restrictions, economic blockade, and fake interactions.

Addressing a press conference, Ms. Mehbooba said: “In its bid to prevent the high-level delegation from learning about the real situation, the government was using desperate measures.”

She said the government was trying to block access to the delegation.

Objecting to the imposition of curfew on a day when there was no strike call and after Saturday's brief relaxation in the city had passed off without any incident, Ms. Mehbooba said this was part of the government strategy to “stifle the voice of the people.”

She said that instead of facilitating the access of the common man, members of civil society, human rights organisations and information activists to the delegation, it had curtailed all movement in Kashmir.

Ms. Mehbooba said the delegation must try to reach out to leaders of the parties who represent the voice of dissent.

However, the government denied Ms. Mehbooba's charge. State Law Minister A.M. Sagar said, “We are facilitating the visit and not sabotaging it.”

0 / 0
Sign in to unlock member-only benefits!
  • Access 10 free stories every month
  • Save stories to read later
  • Access to comment on every story
  • Sign-up/manage your newsletter subscriptions with a single click
  • Get notified by email for early access to discounts & offers on our products
Sign in


Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.