Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar said on Thursday that the main accused in the Malegaon and Samjhauta blasts, Lt. Col. Prasad Purohit, would be given access to documents he had sought to enable him to prove his innocence.
“The matter is in court. So I cannot decide on the merits of the case. But I told the Army that except the words of people and countries named, whatever document he wants, except where it impacts security of nations or it involves name of another officer, that can be blacked out, and the rest of the information about various procedures related to him can be given,” Mr. Parrikar said, after speaking at a naval commanders’ conference here.
In a letter to Mr. Parrikar on November 4, Lt. Col. Purohit sought his reinstatement claiming innocence.
His letter came after the National Investigation Agency (NIA) began probing the hand of the Lashkar-e-Taiba in the blasts. He has been in jail for close to eight years though no charge sheet was filed.
Lt. Col. Purohit claimed that he had been framed in the Samjhauta blasts while he had successfully infiltrated various terror groups such as the Indian Mujahideen and the SIMI. “I have been robbed of honour, dignity and rank and punished for serving the nation,” he said.
Incidentally, NIA Director-General Sharad Kumar clarified on Wednesday that Lt. Col. Purohit was never an accused in the Samjhauta blasts case. However, he had been charge-sheeted by the Mumbai Anti-Terrorism Squad in the Malegaon blast case, and the NIA was investigating the matter.