A Pakistani anti-terrorism court on Saturday allowed the setting up of a commission to be sent to India to record the statements of key witnesses in the 2008 Mumbai attack case.
“Now the government of Pakistan will constitute the commission in the light of the court's order. The government will also speak to India and finalise modalities in this regard,” prosecutor Chaudhry Zulfiqar, who had filed the application, told PTI.
The order for the setting up of the commission was given by Judge Shahid Rafique.
Mr. Zulifqar said the visit of a Pakistani commission to India was necessary to make a headway in the trial of the seven accused, including Lashkar-e-Toiba commander Zakiur Rehman being held in Pakistan.
The prosecution had informed the court that it wanted to record over 20 witnesses in India, but the defence said it would be a “futile” activity, having no impact on the case.
The court has adjourned the hearing being held at Adiala Jail in Rawalpindi, owing to security issue, till September 10.
The prosecution had earlier informed the court that the Indian government had agreed in principle to allow the Pakistani commission to interview four persons - two doctors, a magistrate who had recorded the confessional statement of Ajmal Kasab, the lone surviving attacker, and the police officer who led the investigation into the Mumbai incident.