International

Coronavirus: deaths in China rise to 490, over 20 countries confirm positive cases

This photo taken on February 3, 2020 shows medical staff members on their rounds at a quarantine zone in Wuhan, the epicentre of the new coronavirus outbreak, in China's central Hubei province.

This photo taken on February 3, 2020 shows medical staff members on their rounds at a quarantine zone in Wuhan, the epicentre of the new coronavirus outbreak, in China's central Hubei province.   | Photo Credit: AFP

The WHO has said the outbreak does not yet constitute a "pandemic"

The number of people killed in China by the coronavirus outbreak jumped on February 5 to 490, after hardest-hit Hubei province reported 65 more people had died — the biggest single-day tally since the first fatalities emerged last month.

More than 20 countries have confirmed cases of the virus, prompting the World Health Organization (WHO) to declare a global health emergency, several governments to institute travel restrictions, and airlines to suspend flights to and from China.

The WHO said Tuesday that the dramatic measures taken by China had provided a "window of opportunity" to halt transmission, while calling for more global solidarity to combat the virus. The novel coronavirus has continued to spread with Singapore, Malaysia, and Thailand on Tuesday reporting new infections that were not imported from China.

In a sign of growing concern about a spread to other densely-populated Chinese metropolitan areas, authorities in three cities in eastern Zhejiang province — including one near Shanghai — limited the number of people allowed to leave their homes.

Watch | Coronavirus outbreak spreads out of China
 

Three districts in Hangzhou — including the area where the main office of Chinese tech giant Alibaba is based — now allow only one person per household to go outside every two days to buy necessities, affecting some three million people. The city is only 175 kilometres southwest of the financial hub of Shanghai, which has reported more than 200 cases, including one death. Zhejiang has confirmed 829 cases — the highest number outside the central province of Hubei, whose capital Wuhan is the epicentre of the outbreak.

The WHO has said the outbreak does not yet constitute a "pandemic".

The head of the organisation, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, accused wealthy countries of falling short on their duties in sharing data, stating that: "Of the 176 cases reported outside China so far, WHO has received complete case report forms for only 38 percent."

Hong Kong's first death

The death of the 39-year-old man in Hong Kong came as the semi-autonomous city closed all but two land crossings with the Chinese mainland.

Health officials noted that the mortality rate for the new coronavirus stood at 2.1%, with most victims either old or with underlying health problems. SARS killed nearly 10% of patients.

New foreign cases

Singapore confirmed the first four cases of people being infected locally, taking the total number of infections in the city-state to 24.

In another example of growing global anxiety, Japan has quarantined a cruise ship carrying 3,711 people and was testing those onboard for the virus after a former passenger was diagnosed with the illness in Hong Kong.

Macau, China's semi-autonomous gambling hub that is popular with mainland Chinese visitors, decided to temporarily close all of its casinos for at least two weeks.

And the UK Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab on Tuesday advised Britons to leave China, "if they can", to minimise their risk of exposure to the virus. The United States, meanwhile, acknowledged that the outbreak may delay Beijing's plans to purchase American goods under the terms of a deal meant to end the two countries' trade war.

Beijing admits 'shortcomings'

China made a rare admission of fallibility earlier this week, acknowledging "shortcomings and difficulties exposed in the response to the epidemic". The government also said it "urgently" needed medical equipment such as surgical masks, protective suits, and safety goggles as it battles the outbreak.

Most of the deaths have been in Wuhan and the rest of surrounding Hubei province, which has largely been under lockdown for almost two weeks.

A 1,000-bed field hospital in Wuhan built from scratch within two weeks to relieve overburdened medical facilities started receiving patients on Tuesday, with a second makeshift hospital due to open later this week. A cultural building, an exhibition centre and a gymnasium have also been converted into improvised clinics with 3,400 beds. State media reported that the city planned to convert an additional eight facilities into hospitals.

Why you should pay for quality journalism - Click to know more

Recommended for you
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Mar 31, 2020 3:15:28 PM | https://www.thehindu.com/news/international/coronavirus-deaths-rise-to-490-in-china-over-20-countries-confirm-positive-cases/article30739811.ece

Next Story