Five employees died in a fire at the restaurant in which they were residing, in Kalasipalya of Central Bengaluru, in the early hours of Monday.
The fire, which gutted Kailash Bar and Restaurant, is believed to have broken out around 2.30 a.m.
Police said a short circuit might have caused the fire which engulfed the shop rapidly as there were liquor bottles inside. The main door of the bar had been locked by the employer, leaving the five to the mercy of the blaze. While the body of a worker was found charred in the main hall, four employees were found dead from asphyxiation in the bathroom where they perhaps took refuge.
Rangaswamy (23), Prasad (20), Mahesh (35),all three natives of Tumakuru, Manjunath (45) from Hassan and Keerthi (24) from Mandya were the employees who died. They had migrated to the city and as is usual in many small hotels, were staying on the premises.
Kalasipalya police station have registered a case under IPC 304 (Punishment for culpable homicide not amounting to murder) against four persons: V.R. Dayashankar (58) who is the license holder, Prakash (60), partner of the bar, Somashekar (59), manager and Kumbaara Sangha Management (building owner). Both Prakash and Somashekar have been arrested, said M.N. Anucheth, Deputy Commissioner of Police (West).
Both Prakash and Somashekar have been arrested, said M.N. Anucheth, Deputy Commissioner of Police (West). Officials said the licence holder Dayashankar has been suffering from paralysis and his brother Prakash was running the bar on his behalf.