Vikas Dubey encounter similar to 2009 Meghalaya case: Activists

Wanted for crimes, including rape and murder, Fullmoon Dhar was shot dead in 2009 while trying to escape

Updated - July 10, 2020 08:11 pm IST

Published - July 10, 2020 05:41 pm IST - GUWAHATI

Police officers stand guard at a hospital where the body of gangster Vikas Dubey is being kept, in Kanpur on July 10, 2020.

Police officers stand guard at a hospital where the body of gangster Vikas Dubey is being kept, in Kanpur on July 10, 2020.

The death of Uttar Pradesh gangster Vikas Dubey in an encounter with the police on Friday morning was reminiscent of a similar incident in Meghalaya 11 years ago, rights activists in the hill State recalled.

Dubey had allegedly snatched the gun of a policeman after the vehicle in which he was being taken to Kanpur overturned on a rain-slicked highway. Police claimed he was shot as he tried to escape while firing.

According to the Meghalaya-based Civil Society Women’s Organisation (CSWO), the script of the U.P. encounter seemed to have been taken from the same playbook that prescribed an encounter death for Fullmoon Dhar in 2009.

Wanted for a series of crimes, including rape and murder, Dhar was said to have been on the payroll of some coal mine owners in Meghalaya, specifically East Jaintia Hills district. The major players in the now-illegal rat-hole coal mining business have allegedly been controlling the political parties, bureaucracy and police in the State.

Dhar was caught in September 2008 for the murder of two women, one of whom worked at the house of a former Director-General of Police. He was lodged in the Shillong Central Jail from where he escaped on May 31, 2009, along with six under-trial prisoners, or UTPs.

The police allegedly shot him in an encounter in West Jaintia Hills district 24 hours later, while the six UTPs were recaptured.

Two rights organisations lodged complaints soon after the incident that the encounter was fake and needed proper investigation. Nothing came out of the case, said CSWO president Agnes Kharshiing.

“I joined a few days ago. So I am not in a position to say anything about the status of the case,” Bikram D. Marak, the Superintendent of Police of West Jaintia Hills district had said.

The probe ordered in 2009 took almost two years to get off the ground. A fresh investigation was initiated in 2016 and two investigating officers subsequently closed the case for lack of evidence. The CSWO objected to the closure and the case was handed over to the West Jaintia Hills district police chief.

“The UTPs in that jailbreak said the guards saluted Dhar and that they had virtually walked out. Dhar spoke to someone on the phone while they were making their way through a forest. The police were waiting for them when they reached the spot where Dhar was shot,” Ms. Kharshiing said.

Rights activists said Dhar invariably had the same set of police officials in his areas of operation and even used the gun of an officer-in-charge of a police station.

0 / 0
Sign in to unlock member-only benefits!
  • Access 10 free stories every month
  • Save stories to read later
  • Access to comment on every story
  • Sign-up/manage your newsletter subscriptions with a single click
  • Get notified by email for early access to discounts & offers on our products
Sign in


Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.