Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan on Tuesday said he will request the High Court to let the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe the Vyapam recruitment scam.
He told the media that while he was satisfied with the Special Investigation Team (SIT) now probing the scandal, he wished to “respect people’s sentiments”.
The Chief Minister said he was dispatching a letter to the Madhya Pradesh High Court that the case should be handed over to the CBI.
- » The Vyapam scam in Madhya Pradesh dates back to 2007, with investigations in the case starting after some details came to light in 2013.
- » It has been alleged by the Congress as well as several social activists that the officials took money to compromise the examination and recruitment.
- » It is also known as the Madhya Pradesh Professional Examination Board (MPPEB) scam.
- »Editorial:>The Vyapam scam trail
- » Congress leaders openly accused MP CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan and his wife of being involved in the scam. Later, they submitted the "original evidence".
- » Earlier this year, Chief Minister Chouhan claimed in a >letter to Congress president Sonia Gandhi that the developments regarding the Vyapam scam provided proof of his honesty as he was the one who ordered a probe into it.
- »> Here are five things you need to know about Vyapam Scam.
College dean found dead
Dr. Arun Sharma, the dean of a Jabalpur-based medical college was found dead.
A journalist died soon after interviewing the parents of a girl who was accused in the scam and had died in suspicious circumstances.
The Madhya Pradesh govt. rejected a demand for CBI probe.
Another Vyapam scam accused dies in MP
Narendra Singh Tomar died under mysterious circumstances in an Indore jail.
FIR against M.P. Governor quashed
High Court held that he enjoyed immunity while in office.
Governor's son found dead
Shailesh Yadav, one of the accused in the scam, was found dead under mysterious circumstances.
Madhya Pradesh Governor Ram Naresh Yadav's involvement
The Special Task Force probed the alleged involvement of Governor Ram Naresh Yadav.