Bikes gutted in rental showroom fire

Published - May 08, 2022 07:40 pm IST - THIRUVANANTHAPURAM

Over 30 two-wheelers were gutted in a fire that broke out in a bike rental showroom in Muttathara early Sunday. No casualties were reported in the mishap.

The incident occurred in the three-storeyed building situated on the side of the National Highway-66 bypass around 4 a.m. As many as 32 bikes were destroyed in the outbreak that is suspected to have taken place due to an electrical short circuit.

The blaze initially remained unnoticed by passersby since the shutters of the showroom were downed. However, commuters on the highway alerted the fire force after detecting smoke billowing from the building.

It took five units of the Kerala Fire and Rescue Services around one-and-a-half hours to douse the fire and prevent its spread to the adjacent buildings. The showroom is yet to be inaugurated. The extent of loss was estimated to be around ₹15 lakh, official sources said.

0 / 0
Sign in to unlock member-only benefits!
  • Access 10 free stories every month
  • Save stories to read later
  • Access to comment on every story
  • Sign-up/manage your newsletter subscriptions with a single click
  • Get notified by email for early access to discounts & offers on our products
Sign in


Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.