Passers-by rescued a two-year-old child who had been dumped in a sugarcane field in Halyal village in Belagavi district. Two farmers heard the cries of the child and called out for help before informing the police.
Pradeep Nandagaon, a youth, took the child to a private hospital. Doctors found that the girl had suffered burn injuries, possibly from cigarette butts. The girl is out of danger, a doctor said.
A police officer said a detailed medical examination will be carried out to check if the girl was the victim of a sexual assault.
A case has been registered.