Man killed as battery of e-scooter explodes in Vijayawada, wife and children critical

The family suffered severe suffocation as they were locked in the house when incident took place

April 23, 2022 12:35 pm | Updated 09:26 pm IST - VIJAYAWADA

Relatives of K. Siva Kumar grieve outside his house where the battery of an electric vehicle exploded leading to his death, in Gulabi Thota of Vijayawada on Saturday.

Relatives of K. Siva Kumar grieve outside his house where the battery of an electric vehicle exploded leading to his death, in Gulabi Thota of Vijayawada on Saturday. | Photo Credit: V Raju

A man succumbed to burns and suffocation while his wife and children were battling for life allegedly due to the explosion of the battery of his electric scooter bought a day ago, in Gulabi Thota of Vijayawada in Andhra Pradesh. 

According to the Suryarao Pet police, the victim Kotakonda Siva Kumar (40) died while being rushed to hospital on Saturday morning. His wife Harathi (30) and two children Bindu Sri (10) and Sasi (6) suffered severe suffocation due to inhalation of smoke.

Suryarao Pet circle inspector V. Janaki Ramaiah told The Hindu that Siva Kumar, a DTP operator, bought an electric scooter on Friday and reportedly plugged it in for charging in a room of his home in the night.

“The vehicle was in the front room and they slept in the room behind it when the battery exploded at around 3 a.m.. Following the explosion, the electric wiring of the house got burnt emanating smoke. In a hurry, the family moved to the kitchen and were stuck as there was no exit,” he said.

The neighbours who noticed the fire came to the rescue of the family and informed the police and 108 ambulance.

Siva Kumar’s wife and children were shifted to a private hospital for treatment. Police registered a case and took up investigation. 

Company to inspect vehicle

Meanwhile, representatives of Boom Motors, the makers of the vehicle, are likely to inspect the vehicle to ascertain the exact cause of the mishap. Primarily, experts and police suspect short circuit of the battery which could have affected the house’s electric wiring triggering the fire mishap.

According to the company’s website the battery is to be charged between 2.5 to 4 hours for full charge. 

Top News Today

Sign in to unlock member-only benefits!
  • Access 10 free stories every month
  • Save stories to read later
  • Access to comment on every story
  • Sign-up/manage your newsletter subscriptions with a single click
  • Get notified by email for early access to discounts & offers on our products
Sign in

Comments

Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.