African students call off protest after govt. assurance

Updated - December 04, 2021 11:02 pm IST

Published - May 31, 2016 12:35 pm IST - New Delhi

Foreign Secretary S. Jaishankar in a meeting with a group of African students in New Delhi on Monday.

Foreign Secretary S. Jaishankar in a meeting with a group of African students in New Delhi on Monday.

A group of African students in the national capital on Tuesday called off a demonstration to protest the spate of assaults against the community after the government assured them of better security.

The students said they had a > meeting with officials of the Ministry of External Affairs where they were assured of security and safety. The government officials also requested them not to go ahead with their planned protest at Jantar Mantar.

“There was a high-level meeting with the Permanent Secretary of Ministry of External Affairs yesterday. He listened to our grievances and has made commitments to ensure our safety in India. Leaders of 15 African countries were also present during the meeting,” the Association of African Students in India said in a statement.

It further said, “There was also a meeting with Delhi Police Commissioner and other senior officials where contact details of high level officials were shared with us and they promised us of better policing with respect to Africans.”

“There was also a meeting with the African Ambassador body in which they advised us to take the path of diplomacy and hold the Indian government to their words....and also fast track justice for past cases. The parents of Congolese youth M.K. Olivier have also requested us to not take part in the protest,” it said.

Foreign Secretary S. Jaishankar had on Monday met a group of African students who raised their concerns over host of issues including better security in the wake of the killing of Congolese and cases of assaults against the community.

There has been a series of attacks on African nationals in the last few days including > killing of the Congolese youth and assault on a 23-year-old Nigerian student in Hyderabad.

Five persons have so far been arrested in connection with the attacks.

0 / 0
Sign in to unlock member-only benefits!
  • Access 10 free stories every month
  • Save stories to read later
  • Access to comment on every story
  • Sign-up/manage your newsletter subscriptions with a single click
  • Get notified by email for early access to discounts & offers on our products
Sign in

Comments

Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.