News

India wins U-19 World Cup, Modi inaugurates Assam Global Investors' Summit, and other top news of the day

U-19 World Cup final: Man of the Match Manjot Kalra's century propels India to 8-wicket win

A brilliant century by Manjot Kalra, backed up by able bowling performances by Ishan Porel, Shiva Singh, Ankul Roy and Kamlesh Nagarkoti sealed the deal for the Indian side in the ICC U-19 World Cup final at the Bay Oval on Saturday. Even with a short rain-delay during the Indian innings, the Rahul Dravid-coached team did not lose their momentum. P.P. Shaw, Shubman Gill and H.M. Desai, with the steadying force of Kalra on the other end of the wicket, slowly chipped away at the 217 total the Australians had set for them.

Also read: BCCI reward of ₹50 lakh for Dravid, ₹30 lakh to players

Suspect arrested after gun attack on foreigners in Italian town

A lone gunman opened fire on foreigners in drive-by shootings in a central Italian city, wounding an undisclosed number of people on February 3 morning before being arrested, police said. The suspect’s motive wasn’t immediately clear, but the city of Macerata is still reeling from the gruesome killing of a young Italian woman this week, allegedly at the hands of a Nigerian immigrant.

India received $60 billion FDI in last fiscal, Modi at Global Investors' Summit

Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday said his government has undertaken many path breaking economic reforms, making the country the most preferred investment destination with the highest FDI in last fiscal at $60 billion. Inaugurating the two-day ‘Global Investors Summit’ hosted by Assam, Mr. Modi said the NDA government has speeded up the functioning of official machinery and “we want all programmes to be completed before target.”

My Karni Sena not withdrawing Padmaavat protests, BJP will pay: Lokendra Singh Kalvi

Shree Rajput Karni Sena chief Lokendra Singh Kalvi on Saturday dismissed reports that his outfit has withdrawn protests against Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s Padmaavat and said it must be some “fake news” circulated by a “fake Karni Sena.” He also said that his group has made the BJP pay - via its loss in the Rajasthanbypolls - for not respecting the sentiments of the protesting Rajputs.

J&K govt. okays withdrawal of stone-pelting cases against 9,730 people

The Jammu and Kashmir government has approved withdrawal of cases registered against 9,730 people involved in stone-pelting incidents, including first-time offenders, between 2008 and 2017, Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti said on Saturday. The government action to withdraw 1,745 cases is subject to “certain conditions” and is based on recommendations of a committee constituted to look into the matter, Ms. Mufti said.

CBI files plea in trial court for further probe in Bofors case

The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has moved an application before a Delhi court seeking a direction to allow it to go for further probe into the ₹ 64 crore Bofors payoff case, saying the agency had come across fresh material and evidence. The application was moved before Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Ashu Garg on February 1, a day before the CBI filed a petition challenging the May 31, 2005 order of the Delhi High Court discharging all accused persons in the case.

This weekend at the movies

Here is a handy guide to all the movies that released this weekend. Read our reviews and take your pick!

Watch: In conversation with cast of Netflix's 'Altered Carbon'

Deborah Cornelius in conversation with the cast of Netflix series 'Altered Carbon'.

Japan launches micro satellite rocket

The Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) launched on Saturday the world’s smallest rocket with the ability to put a micro-satellite into orbit, following a failed attempt and several postponements over the last year. The launch of the low-cost rocket — with a height of 10 metres and 53 centimetres in diameter — took place from the Uchinoura Space Centre in Kagoshima prefecture and was aired live on YouTube, Efe news reported.

Cape Town’s water crisis highlights city’s rich-poor divide

“Day Zero” is approaching as South Africa’s showcase city of Cape Town prepares to turn off most water taps amid the worst drought in a century. Tensions among the four million residents are highlighting a class divide. The top international tourist destination has both sprawling informal settlements and high-income oceanside neighborhoods. Some say poorer residents are unfairly blamed as concerns rise over wasting precious water. The military is prepared to help secure water collection points if “Day Zero” occurs.


Our code of editorial values

This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Jun 12, 2021 7:37:25 PM | https://www.thehindu.com/news/india-wins-u-19-world-cup-modi-inaugurates-assam-global-investors-summit-and-other-top-news-of-the-day/article22645176.ece

Next Story