National

Padmaavat protest to continue, say Rajput leaders

Shree Rajput Karni Sena's Founder Lokendra Singh Kalvi addressing a press conference on Sanjay Leela Bhansali's after release of the controversial film "Padmavat", at Press Club of India in New Delhi.   | Photo Credit: Shiv Kumar Pushpakar

An announcement reportedly made by a member of the Karni Sena’s splinter group in Mumbai, withdrawing the protest against Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s Padmaavat, led to a flurry of activity among Rajput leaders here on Saturday. The leaders of all Rajput outfits said their objection still stood, and the protest would continue.

Rajput Karni Sena founder Lokendra Singh Kalvi and Shri Rashtriya Rajput Karni Sena president Sukhdev Singh Gogamedi said the letter, circulated in the name of Yogendra Singh Katar, stating that Padmaavat had glorified the valour of Rajputs, was fake.

No Rajput body had given the green signal to the film, they said.

Mr. Gogamedi said the splinter group’s members, who watched the film “in their personal capacity,” had been expelled and a probe would be undertaken to find out how the fake letter was circulated.

Mr. Kalvi said the ‘janata curfew’ against the screening of the film would continue in Rajasthan, as it had “distorted medieval history.”


Our code of editorial values

This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Aug 3, 2021 11:10:04 AM | https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/my-karni-sena-not-withdrawing-padmaavat-protests-bjp-will-pay-lokendra-singh-kalvi/article22644103.ece

Next Story