‘Indrani pressurised me to tell Sheena to leave Rahul’

Mekhail Bora outside court on Tuesday.

Mekhail Bora outside court on Tuesday.  

Threatened to stop paying grandparents’ expenses: Mekhail

Sheena Bora’s brother, Mekhail Bora, told the Central Bureau of Investigation court on Tuesday that Indrani Mukerjea pressurised him to convince Sheena to end her relationship with Rahul, Peter Mukerjea’s son.

Deposing in Hindi before judge J.C. Jagdale, Mr. Bora said Sheena graduated from St. Xavier’s College in Mumbai in 2009 and started a relationship with Rahul. He said she got into a lot of fights with Mr. and Ms. Mukerjea from 2010 to 2011 because they were unhappy with the relationship.

“In 2011, Indrani called me and asked me to counsel Sheena against a relationship with Rahul. In December that year, I met Sheena at her friend Sanjana’s wedding in Guwahati … Sheena asked me why I had a problem with her relationship with Rahul. I told her … I was doing so on Indrani’s behalf,” Mr. Bora said.

In March 2012, Ms. Mukerjea sent Mr. Bora a message to forward to Sheena, saying that if she did not break up with Rahul, she would not have any right to the family property. “Indrani threatened to stop paying my grandparents’ medical expenses if I didn’t do what she asked, so I had no choice … Sheena stopped talking to me after that. I called Indrani and told her to find out why Sheena was angry with me, but Indrani said she was out of the country,” he said.

On being asked about events in April 2012, by special public prosecutor Kavita Patil, Mr. Bora said driver Shyamvar Rai had called him and said the Mukerjeas were out of town and had left a large sum of money at home, which they could steal and split between the two. Mr. Bora said he declined the proposition.

Later, he said, Ms. Mukerjea asked him to come to Mumbai on April 24, 2012, (the day Sheena was murdered). “Indrani and I met around 10:30 p.m. at her house in Worli and ordered Chinese food. She poured us alcoholic drinks and I had two pegs. I began feeling extremely dizzy, which was unusual after consuming only two pegs. Soon after, Mr. Rai and Sanjeev Khanna showed up. I got extremely afraid since the only other time I met Mr. Khanna was when they got me admitted to Masina Hospital to prove that I was insane. I was very scared and left for Guwahati early next morning.”

Why you should pay for quality journalism - Click to know more

Related Topics
Recommended for you
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Apr 1, 2020 2:24:47 PM |

Next Story