A day after the > Bombay High Court acquitted Salman Khan in the 2002 hit-and-run case , the Bollywood star on Friday withdrew his plea from the Supreme Court seeking examination of his friend and singer Kamaal Khan as court witness in the case.
A bench headed by Justice Madan B Lokur allowed Salman’s lawyer to withdraw his appeal after she said that it had become infructuous in the light of Bombay High Court judgement in the main case.
The Bombay High Court had on November 30 dismissed Salman’s plea.
The high court on Thursday acquitted Salman in the case, quashing the trial court order convicting and sentencing him for five years.
It held that the prosecution had failed to prove “beyond reasonable doubt” that the actor was driving the vehicle at the time of accident and was drunk.
Salman Khan in the eye of the storm
- » Blackbuck case: He was accused of poaching two Blackbucks in 1998 near Jodhpur during the shooting of 'Hum Saath Saath Hain'. He was sentenced to one year prison.
- » Comments about 26/11 attacks: “It was the elite that was targeted this time. So they panicked. Then they got up and spoke about it. My question is why not before? Attacks have happened in trains and small towns too, but no one talked about it so much,” Salman said in 2010. He claimed that Pakistan cannot be held responsible. He later apologised.
- » Aishwarya Rai in the picture: After their presence in ‘Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam’, the couple’s relationship was in the eye of the storm. After they broke up in 2002, Aishwarya alleged that the actor harassed her, as he was unable to come to terms with the ending of their relationship. A case was also registered by Aishwarya’s parents.
- » Brawl with SRK: In 2008, the two actors allegedly got into a fistfight during a party. The relationship between the two stars has never been the same since then. However, the two actors got back together on a good foot in an Iftar party and SRK attended Salman’s sister’s wedding. SRK visited Salman hours before the verdict on hit-and-run case.
- » Vivek Oberoi’s allegations: The actor accused Salman of "threatening to kill him, abusing and indulging in character assassination." It was rumoured that Vivek Oberoi and Aishwarya Rai were in a relationship.
While dictating the order Justice A R Joshi noted there are anomalies in the process of extracting and testing blood samples of the actor. The court observed that the “missing links create doubt over crucial piece of biological evidence”.
From initial charges to the final verdict, here's a timeline of the case that spanned over a massive 13 years.