Netflix sacks Kevin Spacey after sexual misconduct allegations

It was reported that eight current and former employees of “House of Cards” had alleged sexual misconduct against Spacey.

November 04, 2017 10:41 am | Updated 11:43 am IST - LOS ANGELES

 Netflix said in a statement that it's cutting all ties with actor Kevin Spacey, and will not be involved with any further production of "House of Cards" that includes him. (File Photo)

Netflix said in a statement that it's cutting all ties with actor Kevin Spacey, and will not be involved with any further production of "House of Cards" that includes him. (File Photo)

Netflix severed ties with Kevin Spacey on Friday, saying it will not be involved in any production of “House of Cards” if the actor, who faces allegations of sexual misconduct , continues to appear in the show.

Also read: The (incomplete) list of men Hollywood accused of sexual harassment

Netflix suspended production of the upcoming sixth and final season of “House of Cards,” in which the Oscar-winning Spacey plays U.S. president Frank Underwood , earlier this week.

“Netflix will not be involved with any further production of 'House of Cards' that includes Kevin Spacey,” the company said in a statement. The suspension was reported earlier by Hollywood trade publication Variety.

Spacey apologized last weekend to actor Anthony Rapp , who had accused him of trying to seduce him in 1986 when Rapp was 14. CNN reported on Thursday that eight current and former employees of “House of Cards,” who were not identified, alleged sexual misconduct against Spacey.

“House of Cards” has streamed on Netflix and has been produced by the company Media Rights Capital (MRC).

“We will continue to work with MRC during this hiatus time to evaluate our path forward as it relates to the show,” the Netflix statement said.

Netflix also said on Friday it would not release the film "Gore,” which was in post-production and was produced by Spacey. The film was about the late writer Gore Vidal, with Spacey playing him.

Spacey's publicist cut ties with the actor on Thursday and it was not known who currently represents him.

0 / 0
Sign in to unlock member-only benefits!
  • Access 10 free stories every month
  • Save stories to read later
  • Access to comment on every story
  • Sign-up/manage your newsletter subscriptions with a single click
  • Get notified by email for early access to discounts & offers on our products
Sign in

Comments

Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.