Watson and three teammates were handed a one-Test ban last week;
Puts to rest speculation about quitting Tests
Australia vice-captain Shane Watson will return to India on Monday after serving a controversial one-Test ban.
Watson left the tour last week only hours after he and three teammates were suspended for a match for failing to submit self-critiques to Australia coach Mickey Arthur by a set deadline.
Watson was the central character in the fallout, particularly after Cricket Australia’s high performance manager Pat Howard described the 31-year-old, 40-Test veteran as a team player “sometimes.”
Cricket Australia issued a statement on Monday saying Watson would rejoin the squad ahead of the fourth Test starting on March 22 in New Delhi. Watson on Monday said he had buried the hatchet with Howard after a series of “constructive chats” that have brought them on the same page.
“I have also had a number of chats with Pat Howard over the last week and we are both now on the same page and are really looking forward to working together to get Australia to be the best team in the world,” Watson said before boarding the flight back to India.
“My mind’s totally clear and I’m really excited to get back on the plane and to contribute to the team as best as I can.”
“I’ve had several constructive discussions with the team management back in Mohali over the past few days. We’ve spoken about how we are going to work together to move forward, as Australia attempts to climb back to the top of the ICC rankings,” Watson said.
Watson also put to rest speculation that he was planning to quit Test cricket after the snub.
“I’ve a burning ambition to be an Australian Test player for as long as I can be and help Australia win those big Test series as well as the big ICC tournaments,” he said.
“I’m looking forward to getting around the boys again and concentrating on moving forward. I’m entirely committed to the team and being the best player I can be,” he added.