According to EC sources, Nagina witnessed 53.24 per cent polling while Moradabad 54.4 per cent and Rampur 47.9 per cent polling each.

Continuing the record voting percentage of about 65 per cent in the first phase of Lok Sabha elections in Uttar Pradesh, the second phase on Thursday also witnessed a large voter turnout. The 11 constituencies of Rohilkhand and Terai regions of the State, where polling was held in the second phase, recorded a 62.69 per cent turnout as against 55 per cent in the 2009 elections.

Amroha recorded the highest turnout of 67.85 per cent followed by Moradabad with 67.38 per cent. Barring Shahjahanpur (reserved) and Budaun, which recorded a turnout of 58.90 per cent and 59.40 per cent respectively, the poll percentage in other constituencies exceeded the 60 per cent mark. The turnout in Nagina was 64.80 per cent, Rampur 61.03 per cent, Sambhal 61.20 per cent, Aonla 60.40 per cent, Bareilly 63.50 per cent, Pilibhit 61.20 per cent and Kheri 64.41 per cent.

Even as no major incident of violence was reported from any of the constituencies, self immolation by 38-year-old Hari Singh, outside the polling booth in Devchara village in Aonla constituency in Bareilly district caught the police and polling personnel off guard. He later died at the District Hospital. An inquiry has been ordered into the incident. Polling remained unaffected.

Preliminary reports said Hari Singh, who was employed in a carpet factory in Jaipur, set himself afire after he was not allowed to vote, as his name was not on the voters’ list. The DIG (Public Grievances), A. Satish Ganesh, told reporters here that thenames of Hari Singh and his wife were on the voters’ list of the Bhitia Chainpur Assembly constituency in Aonla. Their voter identity cards were found in his pocket, the DIG said.

AAP candidate detained

In the neighbouring Pilibhit constituency, the police detained Aam Aadmi Party candidate Rajiv Agarwal after he staged a dharna outside the Naogaon Palhaura polling booth. Mr. Satish Ganesh said the AAP candidate barged into the booth along with his supporters and demanded inclusion of their names in the voters’ list. When the staff refused to do so, Mr. Agarwal and his supporters staged a dharna and demonstration. He was taken to the Sungarhi police station.