As usage of solar energy is gathering momentum, the State government has decided to distribute 2,000 solar tracking motor pumps to farmers in Tamil Nadu.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa told the Assembly on Wednesday that five horsepower pumps would be given to farmers with 80 per cent subsidy.
Moreover, the existing micro-irrigation system would be integrated with technology suitable to crops. It will cost Rs. 5 lakh to set up the system and 80 per cent of the money will come from the government as subsidy. Ms. Jayalalithaa added that it would cost the government Rs. 100 crore and that it would would make arrangements for loans through cooperative societies to help the farmers pay the remaining 20 per cent.