The National Commission for Women (NCW) on Wednesday recommended to the Assam government to give a job to the July 9 molestation victim.

It also recommended action against those who stood by and watched the incident and those protecting the culprits; installation of CCTVs outside all pubs; and posting of special police pickets, to be manned by women personnel, at all 128 city pubs till 10.30 p.m.

Meeting with Gogoi

NCW Chairperson Mamta Sharma and member Nirmala Samant Prabhavalkar told journalists, after meeting Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi, that the Commission recommended that financial and medical compensation be granted to the victim.

The other recommendations include handing over the case to a fast track court, arranging for speedy redress of the victim’s grievances, instructing police stations to take calls about molestation incidents immediately without going into the jurisdiction territory and informing the police station concerned so that the victim gets immediate help. A 24-hour women helpline and women cell in every police station should be set up immediately. Strict action should be taken against the police personnel responsible for the crime and bar owners must be instructed to check the customers’ age.

NCW chief’s denial

Ms. Sharma denied “making any statement about need for women to dress more carefully,’’ in New Delhi on Wednesday. “I deny making the statement and want to know if there is any recording of my making this statement. Society, media and people working in the sector of women empowerment and social justice have to be vigilant and sensitive about the condition of women and their safety. We all need to educate ourselves about moving ahead as a progressive society which respects and takes care of women and their rights,’’ she said.

Unfortunate: AIDWA

The All India Democratic Women’s Association (AIDWA) expressed its deep shock and concern at the reported statement.

AIDWA president Shyamali Gupta said: “Ms. Sharma has reportedly advised girls to be careful about the way they dress. Most unfortunately, she has ascribed the increase in incidents of violence to their aping of western culture. There can be nothing more unfortunate than the fact that a person occupying an office established to protect women and their rights, echoes the dangerous and erroneous belief that it is women and girls themselves who are responsible for the violence to which they are subjected to.’’

AIDWA general secretary Sudha Sundararaman said, “At a time when women’s rights in our country are being attacked in the name of upholding tradition and honour, such a statement will only strengthen those responsible for committing these crimes of violence.’’

Five still at large

In a statement tabled on the floor of the Assembly, Environment and Forest Minister Rockybul Hussain said so far 17 persons involved in the molestation incident have been identified and 12 arrested and set to judicial custody. Of the remaining five, three have been identified. The government informed the House that two Personal Security Officers have been provided to the victim.