A special designated court on Tuesday asked the Supreme Court-appointed Special Investigation Team to submit all the documents related to the 2002 Gulberg society massacre case within 15 days.
Special judge K K Bhatt passed the order in response to an application by the witnesses of the massacre, their lawyer SM Vora said.
The SIT investigation into the charges of conspiracy against former Gujarat chief minister Narendra Modi and others gave a clean chit to the current Prime Minister in its closure report on February 8, 2012.
“Since documents related to their investigation are also related to the Gulbarg case, the special court had ruled two years ago that they be produced before it. The SIT sought a revision of this order, but withdrew its revision petition last month. Therefore I approached the court and said the agency must now comply with the order of the special court and submit the documents. The court has given 15 days time,” Mr. Vora told The Hindu.
A total of 69 people were killed in the Gulberg massacre, including former Congress Ehsan Jafri. When the SIT gave a clean chit to Mr. Modi in 2012, Mr. Jafri’s wife Zakia Jafri filed a protest petition against their report before the metropolitan magistrate B J Ganatra in 2013. However, her petition was turned down. She then approached the Gujarat High Court this March challenging the lower court’s order upholding SIT’s clean chit to Mr. Modi.
The Gulbarg society case is among the nine riots cases probed by the SIT.