Hours after the Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) filed a written complaint against actor Shah Rukh Khan for allegedly misbehaving, abusing, and threatening MCA and BCCI (Board of Control for Cricket in India) officials, the Mumbai Police registered a non-cognisable offence against him under Sections 323 and 504 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC).

The Sections deal with voluntarily causing hurt, and insulting someone with the intent to provoke breach of peace.

The police are in the process of identifying a female, who was also allegedly abused by the actor during the incident at the city's Wankhede stadium. They have sought CCTV footage from the MCA officials to ascertain the chain of events.

The complaint was registered on the basis of the statement of Vikas Dalvi, the 52-year-old MCA watchman. Mr. Dalvi was accompanied by Nitin Dalal, Joint Honorary Secretary of MCA. The Marine Drive police recorded Mr. Dalvi's statement for nearly one-and-a-half hours.

Earlier in the day, Mr. Dalal submitted a written complaint to the police, requesting “necessary legal action against Shah Rukh Khan and his associates for these ‘illegal acts'.”

The complaint stated that the actor was in an inebriated condition, and used very vulgar language against the MCA and BCCI officials.

“After the IPL match between Mumbai Indians and Kolkata Knight Riders on May 16, 2012, Mr. Shah Rukh Khan & Morani Brothers, his private security, and people accompanying him, entered the ground without having proper accreditation along with 15-20 boys, and when a young girl wished him, Mr. Shah Rukh Khan used vulgar language,” the complaint said.

“Mr. Shah Rukh Khan hit MCA watchman Dalvi, and abused him in vulgar language.”

“Mr. Khan assaulted MCA security, manhandled MCA officials and BCCI officials, created nuisance in public while fully drunk,” the complaint stated.

“A non-cognisable offence has been registered against Shah Rukh Khan and three people,” Mumbai Deputy Commissioner of Police Nisar Tamboli confirmed to The Hindu. The police are yet to identify the three. Mr. Dalvi had said it wasn't the actor but the three persons who beat him up.

Mr. Dalvi told the police that Shah Rukh Khan started abusing him after he stopped him. He said that his bodyguards pushed him, and said that they had bought the ground, after he told them that they cannot enter it.

Assistant Commissioner of Police Iqbal Sheikh, who reached the spot after the fight started, told reporters that the actor was drunk. “He was reeking of alcohol,” he said. However, Mr. Sheikh said that drinking wasn't an offence, and that the priority of the moment was to defuse the situation.

“Heated arguments were going on when we arrived. The situation was taking an ugly turn. It was necessary to defuse it, so I turned him away,” Mr. Sheikh said.

He said the police would take a decision on summoning the actor once the preliminary inquiry is done. “It depends on the result of the inquiry, what transpires.”