SEARCH

News » National

Updated: March 31, 2010 00:38 IST

Kasab trial likely to conclude on Wednesday

PTI
print   ·   T  T  
Special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam argued for 13 days before the trial court and filed a 675-page written submission. After final arguments, Judge M.L. Tahaliyani may announce the date for the verdict on Wednesday.
PTI Special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam argued for 13 days before the trial court and filed a 675-page written submission. After final arguments, Judge M.L. Tahaliyani may announce the date for the verdict on Wednesday.

Almost a year after the 26/11 attacks case began in a special court here, the trial of Pakistani gunman Ajmal Kasab, accused of slaughtering 166 people, and two Indians charged with taking part in the conspiracy is likely to conclude on Wednesday.

The arguments by prosecution and defence are expected to conclude on Wednesday, following which Judge M.L. Tahaliyani may announce the date for the verdict, Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam said.

The prosecution examined as many as 653 witnesses to prove their case that Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) carried out the dastardly attacks in Mumbai by sending 10 jehadi terrorists from Karachi.

The court also examined four witnesses, including two National Security Guard (NSG) commandos, who led the teams in operations to fight the terrorists.

Police filed a chargesheet on February 26 last year and the case was committed from magistrate’s court to a sessions court on March 9, 2009. A separate court was established in a high security central prison here to hear the case.

On April 17, before the trial began, Kasab had pleaded that he was a juvenile, but the court rejected his claim after examining prosecution witnesses and experts and ruled that he was above 20 years.

On May 8, the first witness stepped into the box, saying he had seen Kasab gunning down sub-inspector Tukaram Ombale at Girgaum Chowpatty.

After examining 653 witnesses, including 30 eye witnesses, Nikam opened arguments this month, saying there was evidence to suggest that the security apparatus of Pakistan was involved in the attacks on India’s financial nerve centre.

Some days later, American terror accused David Headley, in a plea bargain before a Chicago Court, disclosed that Pakistani Army men were behind the conspiracy to strike terror in Mumbai in November 2008.

Nikam argued for 13 days before the trial court and filed a 675-page written submission. Kasab’s counsel K.P. Pawar argued for three days while R.B. Mokashi, the lawyer defending Faheem Ansari, argued on Tuesday. Ejaz Naqvi, the lawyer of co-accused Sabauddin Ahmed, will argue on Wednesday.

Nikam has sought conviction of the accused on various charges under IPC, including waging war against nation, and other laws such as Foreigners Act, Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, Prevention of Damage to Public Properties Act, Customs Act, Passport Act, Arms Act, Explosives Act, Explosives Substances Act and Bombay Police Act.

More In: National | News

International

Tamil Nadu

Andhra Pradesh

Karnataka

Kerala


O
P
E
N

close

Recent Article in National

Fast-track courts violate due process: A.P. Shah

Fast-track courts are not the solution to the problem of judicial backlog, Law Commission chairperson Justice A.P. Shah told The Hindu... »