The drinking water situation in the city may soon improve with the completion of the Kabini project. A trial run is expected to commence in the first week of October and actual supply may commence before Dasara.

The project taken up under the Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM) with 80 per cent funding from the Centre will cost Rs. 108.91 crore. The State government and the Mysore City Corporation is sharing the remaining 20 per cent cost equally. Mysore district-in charge Minister S.A. Ramdas, who conducted a spot inspection of the project site on Saturday, directed officials to commence the trial run on October 6, following completion of electrical works by October 1.

Once commissioned, nearly one-third of Mysore, including new residential areas J.P. Nagar, parts of Kuvempunagar, Vidyaranyapuram, Chamundipuram, Srirampura, Dattagalli and Ramakrishna Nagar, will benefit apart from 33 villages along the pipeline.

The installed pumping capacity in the first phase of the project is 60 MLD (million litres a day). This will augment the net volume of water supplied to the city to nearly 200 MLD.

The project — to be completed in three phases — is expected to cater to the city’s requirements till 2039 with a projected population of 2 million.

‘Meet deadlines’

Mr. Ramdas directed the officials to meet the deadlines.

The original deadline given by the Minister for the commencement of the trial run was September 30.

Though the officials sought additional time, the Minister insisted that the trial run begin on October 6 so that the project could be dedicated to the public before Dasara.

Labour issues

Mr. Ramdas said there were labour problems as a result of which the deadline had been overshot by five days However, he expressed confidence that once the infrastructure was in place, the capacity augmentation of the water works would be a smooth affair as it entailed only installation of pumps.

More In: Karnataka | National