Parents of four children have been served notice

The Motor Vehicles Department along with the Our Responsibility to Children (ORC) project and the police have launched an anti-children driving campaign to prevent underage driving in the district.

So far, parents of four children, who were caught for underage driving, have been served notice by the MVD to appear before the officials.

Formal launch

“The action was taken within a few days after the formal launch of the State-level scheme in Kozhikode. As per the rules, the parents who have been served the notice will have to pay a fine of Rs.1,500,” said Regional Transport Officer Rajiv Puthalath.

The parents who would be held as the main accused would also have to attend a counselling programme.

The MVD decided to crack down as the number of accidents involving underage children was found to be on the rise in the State. In Kozhikode district, the fatalities was the highest in the State.

Officials said all the educational institutions had been informed about the measures and their cooperation had been sought.

Schools had been asked to discourage children from driving in their own vehicles to schools.

The public had been urged to pass on any information about underage driving to the mobile number of Regional Transport Officer (8281786094).

The police helpline -9497990112- too would be available for passing the information.

“The drive will be strengthened further after the Lok Sabha election duties of the MVD and police officials,” said Mr. Puthalath.

He said the department was considering the project very seriously and stern action would be taken against parents as part of the ongoing drive.

RELATED NEWS

Reining in underage driving April 2, 2014

More In: Kozhikode