A young woman constable of the Tamil Nadu Special Police attempted to commit suicide by jumping from the second floor of the barracks of the Tamil Nadu Police Quarters at Egmore on Monday.

Doctors at Rajiv Gandhi Government General Hospital (GH) said the seriously injured policewoman might lose her vision.

The police said recent reprimands by senior police officers might have driven her to take the extreme step.

P. Shanthi (22), a native of Vathalagundu village in Dindugul district, is part of the police team that mans the Chief Minister’s route in the city. She had been serving in the armed reserve wing of the Tamil Nadu police since her selection in 2010. Along with 25 other armed reserve policewomen, Shanthi had been staying at the barracks provided by the department in Egmore for the past three years.

The police said, a fortnight ago, after Shanthi’s roommate S. Kavitha Rani travelled with a male sub-inspector on his bike from the barracks to her place of duty, Shanthi had advised Rani, who is also from Dindugul district, to avoid travelling with men as it would have an impact on the reputation of their native town.

As she could not get along with Rani, Shanthi had requested her superiors to shift her to another room but was told to give a written complaint against Rani. Shanthi was also warned by senior officers, who had said her interference would lead to a departmental enquiry and perhaps, denial of promotion. Shanthi had been expecting a promotion after three years of service in the force.

“For nearly a fortnight, Shanthi and Rani had been fighting. On Sunday, their fight intensified after Shanthi was abused about her low social status,” said an armed reserve women constable.  

On Monday, around 5 a.m., Shanthi, along with other policewomen, went for the roll call at the parade ground on the premises of the police quarters. Police sources said, Shanthi complained about Rani to sub-inspector R. Naresh who was in charge of the roll call. However, Naresh asked her to give a written complaint to senior police officers and warned her of action for disturbing the routine roll call parade.

Soon after, upset at being rebuked, Shanthi went to the second floor of the barracks and jumped from a height of around 25 feet. Immediately, other armed reserve women constables and senior police officers rushed Shanthi to GH, where she underwent a two-hour surgery. Doctors said she is in a critical condition.

“She sustained a depressed skull fracture, liver damage and broken wrists. Her vision too might get affected. We are continuously monitoring her condition,” said V. Kannagasabhai, dean of the hospital.   

A case of accidental fall has been registered by the Egmore police.

More In: Chennai | News