A six-year-old girl died and at least 50 were admitted to hospitals with symptoms of food poisoning after reportedly consuming the “panaka” served at a temple in Valmiki Nagar near Azadnagar on the occasion of “Rama Navami” in the city on Saturday.

Doctors at the state-run Vani Vilas Hospital said the girl was brought dead to the hospital. This apart, 13 more children have been admitted to the hospital are under treatment for food poisoning. All of them are out of danger, a doctor said.

Nearly 35 people including seven children have also been admitted to Victoria Hospital from the same area. Local leaders, who are campaigning in the area for the May 5 Assembly elections, were taking more people to the hospital even till late afternoon. Hospital Medical Superintendent G Gurushankar said none of them were critical.

“Initially ten persons came to the hospital with symptoms of vomiting, diarrhea and dehydration. These were followed by more people and around noon we had 28 of them. All of them are under observation and will be discharged by this evening or Sunday morning,” he said.

More In: Bangalore