World turns upside down for Sadguru Sairam Nagar residents on Deepavali

As many as 102 houses along with the household articles were destroyed in a fire that swept Sadguru Sairam Nagar in Madhurawada area on Tuesday. Apart from this accident, fire accidents were caused reportedly due to Deepavali crackers in some other areas. However, there was no loss of life while some suffered burns.

Minister for Tribal Welfare P. Balaraju, along with Collector V. Sheshadri, MLA of Bheemunipatnam M. Srinivasa Rao, RDO Rangayya and other officials visited Sadguru Sairam Nagar on Wednesday and consoled the victims. Mr. Balaraju said victims who had lost their houses would be sanctioned units under the JNNURM or Indiramma programme, according to the rules. Rice, dal, kerosene, and blankets were supplied to the victims.

Compensation of Rs. 15,000 would be paid to each house. Fire accidents were also reported from Rajakaveedhi in China Waltair, near Chaitanya Engineering College at Kommadi, where huts were destroyed. Hay stocks were burnt at some places.

Succumbs to burns

A seven-year-old girl Pavani of A. Kothapalli in Devarapalli mandal succumbed to burns she had suffered when raw material for making flowerpots caught fire at her house four days ago. Elders of the family were preparing flowerpots and the mix of raw material was kept aside before it was packed into the flowerpot shells. This was ignited as the elders went for lunch and the children around it suffered burns. Pavani was shifted to the Burns Ward of King George Hospital where she died while undergoing treatment on Wednesday morning.

Four children, who suffered burns in a Deepavali eve fire accident at Anakapalle, are undergoing treatment at the Burns Ward.

More In: Visakhapatnam