SEARCH

Cities » Thiruvananthapuram

Updated: July 28, 2013 13:27 IST

Medical student dies of suspected food poisoning

Staff Reporter
Comment (1)   ·   print   ·   T  T  
Rejitha Rajeev, who died of suspected food poisoning in the city on Saturday
Rejitha Rajeev, who died of suspected food poisoning in the city on Saturday

She had eaten biryani from a hotel at Kazhakuttam

An 18-year old-girl from Ulloor died in the city on Saturday of suspected food poisoning after she had chicken biryani from a hotel at Kazhakuttam.

According to the police, Rejitha Rajeev, who dined at the restaurant with her family on Friday night, had ordered biryani. Her family members ordered other dishes.

Rejitha, a second-year medical student in Puducherry, complained of discomfort at 11.30 a.m. on Saturday and was taken to a private hospital in Ulloor.

When her situation worsened, she was shifted to the medical college hospital, where she died around 1.30 p.m.

Complaint filed

Her parents, who are doctors, alleged that the girl had shown discomfort and signs of food poisoning after the family had dined at the Halais Dum Biriyani in Kazhakuttam.

They have registered a complaint with the police against the hotel.

Medical College Circle Inspector S. Nazurudeen said the case could be confirmed only after examining results of medical tests. “If it was a case of food poisoning, the girl should have shown discomfort at least four hours after the food was consumed. But she showed no such signs until Saturday morning. We are not sure it was case of food poisoning. We will wait for the medical reports,” said Mr. Nazurudeen.

The police inspected the hotel and collected feedback from customers who were at the hotel on Friday.

District Food Safety Officer D. Sivakumar told The Hindu that following the police complaint, an inspection was conducted at the hotel and its licence had been suspended till the investigation was completed.

“We did not find the hotel unhygienic. However, we have collected samples of raw materials used for making the chicken biryani at the hotel. The hotel has been following all rules till now,” he said.

In Balaramapuram

Twelve persons fell ill at the Sree Ramakrishna School near Balaramapuram on Saturday after consuming food ordered from an eatery here.

The food was brought from Arafa Hotel for a Parent Teacher Association (PTA) function that was organised at the school.

Three children and eight teachers complained of stomach cramps and vomiting. According to an official at the Balaramapuram Primary Health Centre, a teacher was administered IV drip and released from the PHC in the evening.

The hotel was closed pending notice from food safety officials. The owner was brought to the Balaramapuram police station.

RELATED NEWS

Food poisoning: restaurant shutJanuary 19, 2013

Food poisoning is nowadays heard very often.May be the preparation of
food may be the factor and sometimes it could be due to lack of proper
cleaning of the food materials.The rice and other provisions come from
a godown where the sacks containing the food grains are showered with
insecticide spray to ward off rats.This might have stuck to the seeds
and due to lack of proper washing such food poisoning could have
happened.Anyway a life of a future doctor is lost.Humanitarian concern
is a thing of the past.It has to be brought back soon to prevent such
loss of life

from:  Dr Asok Sanker
Posted on: Jul 28, 2013 at 16:52 IST
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Kerala

Kochi

Kozhikode

Trivandrum Connect Newsfeed


O
P
E
N

close

Recent Article in Thiruvananthapuram

Former CJI M.N. Venkatachaliah presents the
N. Ramachandran Foundation award to Kasturi &
Sons Ltd. chairman N. Ram in Thiruvananthapuram
on Tuesday. Photo: C. Ratheesh Kumar

Promote scientific temper: ex-CJI

Former Chief Justice of India M.N. Venkatachaliah on Tuesday called for an allocation to the tune of Rs.1,25,000 crore to promote scien... »