The Finance Ministry on Wednesday said it expects an action plan to be ready by March this year for disinvestment in more public sector companies.

“Early February, we would review. By March, I expect action plan for disinvestment would be ready,” Disinvestment Secretary Sunil Mitra told PTI when asked about the progress of talks between his office and 32 ministries and departments, over disinvestment in PSUs.

He further said that the department had asked 32 ministries in the middle of December last year to identify PSUs in which government can divest its stake. “We have asked them to respond by this month. Some ministries have already come out with names of such PSUs,” Mitra added.

The UPA government in its second stint so far has made disinvestment in NHPC and Oil India, which mopped up Rs. 8,600 crore. Besides, the government would reduce its stake in four other PSUs - NTPC, REC, NMDC and SJVNL - this fiscal, that would raise about Rs. 30,000 crore.

The government last week approved divesting stake in another PSU EIL and it is likely to come out with follow-on offer next fiscal.

As per the Cabinet’s decision, all listed profitable PSUs should have a public holding of at least 10 per cent and all profitable unlisted PSUs should be listed. As per the criteria, 60 State-run companies are eligible for disinvestment.

More In: Economy | Business