Ukraine's ambassador to Australia on Friday urged tennis officials to ban Novak Djokovic's father from the Australian Open after he was filmed posing with fans holding Russian flags.
"He should be stripped of his accreditation," Ambassador Vasyl Myroshnychenko told AFP.
Myroshnychenko also called on Djokovic, who is preparing to face Tommy Paul in the semi-finals of the tournament, to personally apologise and to clarify his stance on the Russian invasion of Ukraine.
"He should apologise for what has happened, and condemn the Russian invasion of Ukraine," he demanded.
A video posted to a pro-Russian Australian YouTube account on Thursday showed Djokovic's father Srdjan posing with a man holding a Russian flag with Vladimir Putin's face on it.
The video was captioned: "Novak Djokovic's father makes bold political statement."
Serbian tennis reporters confirmed it was Djokovic's father and the Melbourne Age newspaper reported that he said in Serbian: "Long live Russia."
Another man was photographed by AFP inside the stadium during Djokovic's match with a T-shirt bearing the Russian pro-war "Z" symbol.
Last year, Djokovic was deported from Australia for refusing to be vaccinated against Covid-19, the controversy overshadowing the start of the tournament.
Myroshnychenko said the player's response to the latest controversy would again draw attention away from what was happening on the court.
"The last Open was all about Djokovic," he said. "Now it's all about Russian flags and Djokovic as well."
Ukrainian former player Alex Dolgopolov said on Twitter the flag furore was "absolutely disgusting".
Myroshnychenko was instrumental in persuading Australian Open organisers to ban Russian and Belarusian flags from this year's Grand Slam.
Srdjan won’t attend Djokovic’s semifinal
Novak Djokovic's father Srdjan later said he would not attend his son's Australian Open semifinal and would instead "watch from home" after the incident.
"I am here to support my son only. I had no intention of causing such headlines or disruption," Srdjan Djokovic said in an emailed statement.
"So there is no disruption to tonight’s semi-final for my son or for the other player, I have chosen to watch from home."
(With inputs from Reuters)