Two civilians killed in Army firing in north Kashmir

Valley’s separatist leadership calls for shutdown on Monday

June 30, 2013 09:25 am | Updated November 16, 2021 10:13 pm IST - Srinagar:

The death of two young civilians in Army firing made the north Kashmir area of Sumbal tense on Sunday, even as the authorities imposed curfew in a neighbourhood. The police filed a murder case against a unit of Rashtriya Rifles 13th battalion and the valley’s separatist leadership called for shutdown on Monday to protest the two “cold-blooded murders.”

Residents of Markundal village in Bandipore district alleged that 18-year-old student Irfan Nabi Ganai was killed when the Army fired upon him on the compound of his house. They said Mr. Ganai had moved out of his house when he and his family members noticed some suspicious movements in the early hours.

“Irfan and his father suspected the men outside as cattle thieves. No sooner did he come out than the troops had fired and killed him,” Mr. Ganai’s cousin Parvaiz said.

On Saturday, Mr. Ganai received an honour from the principal of his higher secondary school for his distinction in an examination.

According to the residents, the troops opened fire, killing another civilian, Tariq Ahmad Laharwal of Kondabal, when some people were carrying Mr. Ganai’s body towards Sumbal for staging a protest. Mr. Laharwal, they said, was attending a wedding. He died of injuries en route to hospital.

Shattering months of tranquillity, the deaths sent shock waves throughout Bandipore district. Over a thousand residents of five adjacent villages gathered at Markundal. They shouted slogans against security forces and staged a protest demonstration, alleging that both young men had been killed without any reason and provocation.

Mohammad Yousuf Zargar, Deputy Commissioner, Bandipore, told The Hindu that there was “no need for an inquiry” as the charge (of causing death by firing) had been established against the Army. “On the people’s complaint and other reports, the police have filed a murder case against the unit of Rashtriya Rifles 13th battalion involved in the firing,” Mr. Zargar said.

He said curfew was imposed “as a precautionary measure” as hundreds of angry demonstrators had gathered in the area.

Top News Today

Sign in to unlock member-only benefits!
  • Access 10 free stories every month
  • Save stories to read later
  • Access to comment on every story
  • Sign-up/manage your newsletter subscriptions with a single click
  • Get notified by email for early access to discounts & offers on our products
Sign in


Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.