Tamil Nadu

Leaders slam Centre’s 10% quota for EWS

Aimed at getting upper caste vote: Vaiko

Leaders and representatives of various regional political parties in Tamil Nadu shared a platform to oppose the recently introduced 10% reservation for the economically weaker sections in the general category.

MDMK leader Vaiko, speaking on the Mahatma Gandhi-Anna death anniversary at the Villivakkam bus stand in Chennai on Friday, said: “After honouring Savarkar and Godse, they (Sangh Parivar) now want to set fire to social justice.”

He said the move was devised to get upper caste votes in Uttar Pradesh.

“This is to get the Brahmin votes in Uttar Pradesh where they are in sizeable numbers.

“Lakhs of Ekalavyas are in India today. Nobody can take off their thumbs today,” he said referring to the access to education which the non-upper castes have now.

Dravidar Kazhagam president K. Veeramani said: “In 1948, Periyar noted in two lines in his diary: Gandhi who lived was different and the Gandhi who died was different. Gandhi was killed because he spoke in favour of social justice and secularism.”

He added: “How many upper caste persons are working under MNREGA scheme?”

DMK leader T.K.S. Elangovan said the new quota was introduced only to attract votes.

He said, “What they promised last time around they haven’t delivered. National Sample Survey Office (NSSO) has said that unemployment has grown. They haven’t denied it, but NITI Ayog chairman is saying it is wrong. Those who lead institutions that have to function independently are leaving their posts,” he said.

‘Creating confusion’

Indian Union Muslim League leader Kader Mohideen said the Centre was just trying to create confusion in every issue.

“The only criterion for reservation is that one has to be socially and educationally backward. Bringing in an economical criteria is mischievous and it is to confuse people,” said Mr. Mohideen.

Dravidar Kazhagam vice president Kali Poonkundran wondered if reservations won't affect merit now.

“Brahmins know that constitution doesn’t allow reservation based on economic basis. We cannot say that other castes don’t have poor? Won’t reservations reduce merit now?” he asked.

He further asked if Brahmins would agree to just 10% reservation in education and jobs, leaving the 90% reservations to Other Backward Castes and SCs/STs. “We don’t have a problem with giving Brahmins reservations. Are you ready to give the rest 90% to backward castes, scheduled castes and tribes? This will put issues around reservations to rest?” Mr. Poonkundran asked.

A letter from the Editor


Dear reader,

We have been keeping you up-to-date with information on the developments in India and the world that have a bearing on our health and wellbeing, our lives and livelihoods, during these difficult times. To enable wide dissemination of news that is in public interest, we have increased the number of articles that can be read free, and extended free trial periods. However, we have a request for those who can afford to subscribe: please do. As we fight disinformation and misinformation, and keep apace with the happenings, we need to commit greater resources to news gathering operations. We promise to deliver quality journalism that stays away from vested interest and political propaganda.

Support Quality Journalism
Related Topics
Recommended for you
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Jun 3, 2020 1:12:12 PM | https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/tamil-nadu/leaders-slam-centres-10-quota-for-ews/article26156832.ece

Next Story