Despite intensive campaigning by the DMK, the DMDK and other parties, the Tamil Nadu Assembly elections saw only one big winner — the AIADMK. In a historic win, the AIADMK will ascend to power again, the first time after 1984, that a Chief Minister will serve two consecutive terms.
But what were the nitty-gritties of this elections? Who were the biggest winners and losers? What is the seat-share and vote share? We take a look at all this and more:
The biggest and smallest victory margins
Here are the big winners
Here are the big losers:
Key candidates positions
- Jayalalithaa (AIADMK) defeats Shimla Muthuchozhan (DMK) by a margin of 39,545 votes in Dr Radhakrishnan Nagar.
- Sekar Babu P K (DMK) defeats Sreenivasan K S (AIADMK) by a margin of 4,836 votes in Harbour.
- Sengottaiyan K A (AIADMK) defeats Saravanan S V (INC) by a margin of 11,223 in Gobichettipalayam.
- M.K. Stalin (DMK) defeated J C D Prabhakar (AIADMK) by a margin of 37,370 votes in Kolathur.
- PMK chief ministerial candidate Anbumani Ramadoss defeated in Pennagaram constituency.
- Actor and AIADMK candidate Karunaas has won from Tiruvadanai constituency defeating DMK candidate S.P. Thivakaran.
- Tamil Nadu Finance Minister O. Panneerselvam has won from Bodinayakanur.
- Viduthalai Chiruthaigal Katchi (VCK) founder Thol. Thirumaavalavan lost by a thin margin of 87 votes in Kattumannarkoil (SC) constituency.
- Kanniyakumari: Former AIADMK Minister N. Thalavai Sundaram defeated by Former DMK MP S. Austin.
- Puthiya Thamizhagam leader Krishnasamy defeated in Ottapidaram
- Tambaram DMK leads by 8179 votes, every round widens lead, poised to win with decisive lead,
- P.T.R.P. Thiagarajan, son of former TN Speaker PTR Palanivelrajan, of DMK wins from Madurai Central by 5900 votes.
- Minister for Information and Special Schemes Implementation K T Rajendra Bhalaji retains Sivakasi AC defeating nearest rival C. Sreeraja of Congress
- AIADMK's little known young woman candidate M Chandra Prabha pulls of a stunning victory with a huge margin over Puthiya Tamilgam's C. Muthukumar in Srivillipittur AC
- Colechel sitting Congress MLAs J.G. Prince, Vilavancode S. Vijayadharini and Killiyoor S. Rajesh Kumar and in Nagercoil former DMK Minister N. Suresh Rajan annouced elected.
- In a dramatic move DMK's Andi Ambalam wins Natham Constituency defeating AIADMK rival S.Shajahan
- AIADMK's Natham Viswanathan lost Athoor to DMK rival I.M. Periyasamy.
- Thamimun Ansari of Manithaneya Jananayaga Katchi, contesting in AIADMK alliance, wins in Nagapattinam
- In Egmore, AIADMK's Parithi Ilamvazhuthi was defeated by DMK candidate K.S. Ravichandran.
- DMK chief M. Karunanidhi has won from Thiruvarur constituency with a record margin.
- DMK candidate Jayaramakrishnan wins Madathukulam towards end after trailing for most part of the day.
Hit rate of parties (in %)
- AIADMK 134/232 45.89%
- DMK 89/178 50%
- INC 8/41 19.51%
- IUML 1/5 20%