National

No Rohingya entry since 2014: Rijiju

Kiren Rijiju

Kiren Rijiju   | Photo Credit: V. Sudershan

more-in

Sharp decline in insurgency-related incidents in Northeast, says Rijiju

Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju said on Tuesday that no Rohingya entered India since 2014 after the Bharatiya Janata Party government came to power. Mr. Rijiju also said that insurgency-related incidents in the Northeast had come down to 308 in 2017, the lowest since 1997.

The Minister said 1963 incidents were reported in 2000, and the overall decline was 85%.

Home Minister Rajnath Singh reviewed the security situation in the Northeast on Tuesday.

On August 9 last year, the Home Ministry had issued a circular asking State governments to initiate a procedure to deport illegal immigrants including the Rohingya.

‘Fresh entry prohibited’

The Centre’s move led to an uproar with two Rohingya moving the Supreme Court against the decision.

Mr. Rijiju said on Tuesday, “The illegal immigrants like the Rohingya who came to India, came before 2014. Fresh entry of Rohingya has been prohibited by the border guarding forces.”

The Minister said no insurgency-related incidents were reported in Tripura and Mizoram last year. No security forces were killed in Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya and Mizoram.

A report presented at the meeting said abductions were down by 36% last year when compared to 2016.

An official said 168 incidents of abductions were reported in 2016, which fell down to 102 in 2017.

Why you should pay for quality journalism - Click to know more

Related Topics National
Recommended for you
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Jan 28, 2020 4:33:14 PM | https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/no-rohingya-entry-since-2014-rijiju/article22451697.ece

Next Story