Geelani, Alam put under house arrest

Chief Minister Mufti Mohammad Sayeed spoke the raising of Pakistani flags was intolerable.

April 17, 2015 01:39 am | Updated November 16, 2021 05:08 pm IST - SRINAGAR/NEW DELHI

Hurriyat leaders Syed Ali Shah Geelani and Masarat Alam were put under house arrest on Thursday to prevent them from leading a rally on Friday to Tral, where a 24-year-old civilian was shot dead by the Army on Monday.

The police have registered a case against Mr. Geelani, Mr. Alam and Peer Saiffulah for hoisting the Pakistani flag at a rally on Wednesday.

A day after Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh asked the Jammu and Kashmir government to take strictest possible action against those involved in raising pro-Pakistan slogans at a rally in Srinagar on Wednesday, Chief Minister Mufti Mohammad Sayeed spoke the same language terming the act intolerable.

Mr. Sayeed told NDTV that such an act was unacceptable and the law would take its course. He told the media that it was fine till the separatists kept to rallies, but the raising of Pakistani flags would not be tolerated and action would be taken against those who hoisted the Pakistani flag at the rally of Hurriyat leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani in Srinagar.

The J&K police have registered a case under the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act against Mr. Geelani, Masarat Alam and Peer Saiffulah. However, no arrests have been made so far.

While Mr. Sayeed had struck an understanding with the BJP over providing a democratic space to all political views in Kashmir, the waving of Pakistani flags evidently crosses the threshold of the arrangement, provoking the BJP to cry foul and forcing the Chief Minister to act.

Stating that the government would not tolerate any anti-national activity, Mr. Singh on Thursday said at Saharanpur in Uttar Pradesh that he had spoken to Mr. Sayeed and sought strict action against those involved.

Amid pro-Azadi and pro-Pakistan slogans, thousands of people in Srinagar welcomed Mr. Geelani with Tehreek-e-Hurriyat and Pakistani flags. The Hurriyat leader had returned to Kashmir after spending four months in Delhi.

The Chief Minister on Thursday decided to deny permission for a rally by separatists on Friday from Srinagar to Tral where a youth was killed by the Army in a “gun battle.”

0 / 0
Sign in to unlock member-only benefits!
  • Access 10 free stories every month
  • Save stories to read later
  • Access to comment on every story
  • Sign-up/manage your newsletter subscriptions with a single click
  • Get notified by email for early access to discounts & offers on our products
Sign in


Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.