Neither side should change status quo, says China

July 10, 2013 05:15 pm | Updated December 04, 2021 11:19 pm IST - BEIJING

The Chinese government on Wednesday said neither China nor India “should change the status quo” along the disputed Line of Actual Control (LAC), a day after Indian officials said that last month Chinese troops took away a camera located near an Indian Army post.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying said Chinese troops were “patrolling along the Chinese side of the LAC of the China-India border” when asked about the incident, which took place in Chumar sector in southern Ladakh around three weeks back.

Ms. Hua's suggestion was that the incident took place within what China sees as its side of the LAC. However, as both sides have differing perceptions of where the LAC lies in this area, what Ms. Hua described as the “Chinese side of the LAC” likely refers to areas that India sees as falling within its claim lines.

After a People's Liberation Army (PLA) patrol took away the camera, set up only 6 km ahead of the Indian Army post, the matter was raised by India at a border personnel meeting on June 19. China returned the camera earlier this month after India raised its objections.

Ms. Hua said she was not aware of the specifics of the incident, but added that “the general situation in the border areas is stable.” Both sides, she said, had “a consensus” that pending the final settlement of the boundary question, neither “should change the status quo along the LAC”.

A lack of clarity about where overlapping claim-lines run, coupled with what Indian officials see as more frequent PLA patrolling in disputed areas enabled by China's investments in border infrastructure, has led to a number of recent incidents along the LAC, which has not been clearly demarcated. Officials say consultations aimed at clarifying each other’s perceptions have moved forward slowly.

In an effort aimed at bridging differences, both sides last week, during the visit of Defence Minister A.K. Antony to China, agreed to increase both the frequency and number of locations of border personnel meetings held along the LAC, and to also expand direct contact between the militaries at various levels.

Officials said last week they hoped greater contact would boost strategic trust, particularly in the wake of new strains following the April 15 incursion by Chinese troops, who set up four tents in Depsang in eastern Ladakh. The move was seen by analysts as a provocation, as while both sides had in the past carried out patrols in areas where claims were overlapping, neither had taken the step of putting up a tent.

It took as long as three weeks for the situation in Depsang to be resolved – and for China to agree to return to the status quo prior to the incursion – prompting both countries to reexamine and enhance the boundary mechanisms that are in place to deal with such incidents.

Top News Today

Sign in to unlock member-only benefits!
  • Access 10 free stories every month
  • Save stories to read later
  • Access to comment on every story
  • Sign-up/manage your newsletter subscriptions with a single click
  • Get notified by email for early access to discounts & offers on our products
Sign in

Comments

Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.