24 injured in attack by Jamaat forces in Bangladesh

January 19, 2014 10:53 pm | Updated December 04, 2021 11:03 pm IST - DHAKA:

Although the violence that had gripped Bangladesh in the recent weeks has come down considerably, dedicated cadres of the Jamaat-e-Islami are yet to come to terms with the changed scenario.

The indoctrinated Jamaat supporters launched a desperate attack on members of the joint forces, firing from guns and lobbing homemade bombs when the lawmen were trying to nab suspects of recent violence in northern Gaibandha district on Sunday.

The militant activists, in hundreds, encircled the members of the joint forces and burnt down their vehicles as they raided Sundarganj, a Jamaat stronghold, which saw major violence in last February, after Jamaat leader Delwar Hossain Sayedde was convicted for war crimes.

The policemen were finally rescued by additional reinforcements after exchanges of gun fire which lasted for hours. The incident left 30 people badly injured, including 24 lawmen. Of the injured, five policemen were admitted to hospitals in critical condition. At least six Jamaat activists were hit by bullets when police and other security forces retaliated.

A number of Jamaat activists have been arrested after the clashes, said officer in charge of Sundarganj Police.

In February last year, four policemen were lynched to death when Jamaat activists attacked a police station in Sundargonj. They also vandalised a local railway station and torched it. Houses and businesses of local Awami League leaders were also targeted, set on fire and destroyed.

Meanwhile, the Bangla daily, Inqilab , which faced a police raid on Thursday, has regretted publication of its report on Indian forces’ participation in operation in Satkhira, a Jamaat stronghold where a drive is on to nab suspected criminals.

Police had sealed off the press of the daily and rounded up the three newsmen after authorities filed a case against the editor, publisher and journalists concerned of the daily for publishing ‘false news.’

The newspaper on its website uploaded a notice headlined “We are sorry” and said it would be more careful in future.

Top News Today

Sign in to unlock member-only benefits!
  • Access 10 free stories every month
  • Save stories to read later
  • Access to comment on every story
  • Sign-up/manage your newsletter subscriptions with a single click
  • Get notified by email for early access to discounts & offers on our products
Sign in

Comments

Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.