iPhone battery explodes at Zurich Apple store, one injured

Updated - January 10, 2018 03:28 pm IST

Published - January 10, 2018 10:29 am IST - Zurich

A man was injured when an iPhone battery overheated and the device exploded at an Apple Store, leading to a temporary evacuation of those present on the premises.

According to a report in www.swissinfo.ch, the incident occurred at the Apple Store on Zurich’s Bahnhofstrasse on Tuesday, injuring a repairman.

“According to Zurich City police, the device suddenly exploded for an unknown reason as it was being removed by a repair worker on Tuesday, burning his hand slightly. Seven other people received medical attention but were not hospitalised,” the report said.

The incident prompted the evacuation of around 50 customers and staff from the shop.

“The staff responded well and correctly. They sprinkled quartz sand over the overheated battery so that the smoke could be contained and sucked out after switching on the ventilation,” a police statement said.

The fire servicemen covered the battery with sand, allowing the smoke to be contained and then ventilated.

According to police, forensic specialists from the Zurich Forensic Institute were examining the cause of the problem.

0 / 0
Sign in to unlock member-only benefits!
  • Access 10 free stories every month
  • Save stories to read later
  • Access to comment on every story
  • Sign-up/manage your newsletter subscriptions with a single click
  • Get notified by email for early access to discounts & offers on our products
Sign in

Comments

Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.