International

COVID-19 | Facebook, Instagram, take down Bolsonaro’s videos

Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro./ File photo

Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro./ File photo   | Photo Credit: Getty Images

The videos showed the far-right leader flouting social distancing guidelines by mixing with supporters in Brasilia and urging them to keep the economy going.

Facebook and Instagram removed videos of Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro on Monday, saying they spread misinformation about the COVID-19, a day after Twitter did the same.

“We remove content on Facebook and Instagram that violates our terms of use, which do not allow misinformation that could cause physical harm to individuals,” Facebook said in a statement in Portuguese.

Twitter on Sunday explained it had removed the videos in accordance with its recently expanded global rules on managing content that contradicted public health information from official sources, and could put people at greater risk of transmitting COVID-19.

The videos showed the far-right leader flouting his government's social distancing guidelines by mixing with supporters on the streets of Brasilia on Sunday and urging them to keep the economy going.

On Saturday, Health Minister Luiz Henrique Mandetta highlighted the importance of containment as a means of fighting the COVID-19. Brazil has reported the most COVID-19 cases in Latin America so far — 4,256, with 136 deaths.

On Monday, Mr. Mandetta again stressed the importance of social distancing in order to slow the virus.

“At this time, we must maintain the highest degree of social distancing, so that we can... give time for the (health) system to strengthen itself,” he said.

Mr. Bolsonaro has repeatedly downplayed the seriousness of the COVID-19, describing it as “a flu” and calling for schools and shops to re-open, with self-isolation necessary only for people over the age of 60.

On Monday, his leading opponents urged him to resign in a joint letter, arguing that he committed a crime with his mishandling of the pandemic.

“Bolsonaro is more than just a political problem, he has become a public-health problem... He should resign,” said the statement, which was signed by a dozen leading left-wing figures.

A letter from the Editor


Dear reader,

We have been keeping you up-to-date with information on the developments in India and the world that have a bearing on our health and wellbeing, our lives and livelihoods, during these difficult times. To enable wide dissemination of news that is in public interest, we have increased the number of articles that can be read free, and extended free trial periods. However, we have a request for those who can afford to subscribe: please do. As we fight disinformation and misinformation, and keep apace with the happenings, we need to commit greater resources to news gathering operations. We promise to deliver quality journalism that stays away from vested interest and political propaganda.

Support Quality Journalism
Related Topics
Recommended for you
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | May 30, 2020 9:39:23 PM | https://www.thehindu.com/news/international/covid-19-facebook-instagram-take-down-bolsonaros-videos/article31214642.ece

Next Story