International

Congo landslide death toll likely 200, governor says

Authorities in northeastern Congo say a landslide earlier this week in Ituri province likely has killed at least 200 people.

Governor Abdallah Pene Mbaka said on Saturday the estimate is based on missing people and homes affected. He says 50 houses were destroyed and only 44 bodies have been found.

Wednesday’s landslide in Tora village followed heavy rains in the fishing community located along Lake Albert.

The governor is calling on the international community for emergency assistance with rescue and recovery efforts.

Many people die each year in Congo as the result of poorly regulated development. People often build homes near mines and bodies of water, making themselves vulnerable to disasters caused by soil erosion and flooding.

A letter from the Editor


Dear reader,

We have been keeping you up-to-date with information on the developments in India and the world that have a bearing on our health and wellbeing, our lives and livelihoods, during these difficult times. To enable wide dissemination of news that is in public interest, we have increased the number of articles that can be read free, and extended free trial periods. However, we have a request for those who can afford to subscribe: please do. As we fight disinformation and misinformation, and keep apace with the happenings, we need to commit greater resources to news gathering operations. We promise to deliver quality journalism that stays away from vested interest and political propaganda.

Support Quality Journalism
Recommended for you
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Jun 5, 2020 9:37:11 PM | https://www.thehindu.com/news/international/congo-landslide-death-toll-likely-200-governor-says/article19524514.ece

Next Story