Attack on Chinese consulate in Karachi foiled

Paramilitary forces and police are seen during an attack on the Chinese embassy, where blasts and shots are heard, in Karachi, Pakistan on Friday.   | Photo Credit: Reuters

Three heavily armed suicide bombers on Friday stormed the Chinese consulate in Pakistan’s largest city of Karachi, killing four persons, including two policemen, before being shot dead by security forces that foiled the daring attack in the high-security zone, the police said.

The attack was soon claimed by the outlawed Baloch Liberation Army (BLA), which said it would not tolerate “any Chinese military expansionist endeavours on Baloch soil”.

The resource-rich Balochistan is at the heart of the ambitious China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC).

The suspected suicide bombers were killed before they could enter the consulate in the posh Clifton area, Karachi police chief Amir Shaikh said.

A father and son were also killed. Nine hand grenades, Kalashnikov rifles, magazines and explosives were recovered from the terrorists, Geo News reported.

“Food supplies and medicines were also recovered,” officials said. “We have received the bodies of the two policemen and an injured Chinese security guard who is under treatment,” said Seemi Jamali, executive director of Jinnah Hospital.

The Sindh government and the Pakistan Army confirmed that three terrorists were killed in the operation.

The heavily guarded E-Street neighbourhood, considered a red zone, is home to a number of upscale restaurants, diplomatic missions and schools. The Bilawal House of Pakistan People’s Party chairman Bilawal Bhutto Zardari is also in the area. Residents said they first heard firing and explosions around 9.30 a.m. “The terrorists first attacked the checkpost outside the consulate and detonated a hand grenade in the area,” Mr. Shaikh said. He said the attackers parked their vehicle at some distance from the consulate.

Defence analyst and security contractor Ikram Sehgal, whose company’s guards have been posted at the consulate, said the attackers had first engaged in an exchange of fire with policemen.

After the policemen and civilians were killed, they proceeded towards the gate of the consulate. However, the guards quickly waved civilians with consular business into the building and shut the gates. The paramilitary rangers then reached the spot and engaged the attackers, he said. Mr. Sheikh said all Chinese staffers “are safe and secure.”

Our code of editorial values

This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Jun 15, 2021 12:04:39 PM |

Next Story