Protesters try to besiege Khaleda’s office, demand an end to blockade

Issue a two-day ultimatum to end bandh, threaten to go on hunger strike

Updated - November 16, 2021 05:50 pm IST

Published - January 22, 2015 11:37 pm IST - DHAKA:

At least 15 vehicles were attacked by activists of Jamaat-e-Islami and its student wing, even though the convoy of more than 50 vehicles was being escorted by security forces during the non-strop transport blockade.

The Dhaka-bound convoy from northern Rajshahi — which included buses and good laden trucks — was attacked by petrol bombs, the police said. Three persons were injured. The attackers exploded scores of crude bombs setting some of the vehicles on fire.

The attack was launched in the half-kilometre stretch between Barnali to Darikharbanar and in Binodpur of northern Rajshahi around 12:30 p.m. on Thursday. The motorcade was later able to move ahead with the help of police, RAB and BGB.

The non-stop blockade which continued entered its 17th day on Thursday and has caused considerable damage, however, showed no immediate sign of ending.

On Thursday, over 500 hundred agitated people made a bid to besiege BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia’s Gulshan office to force her to withdraw the blockade. The protesters, mostly transport and garment workers made a bid to besiege Khaleda’s political office where she is staying since January 3. The police however foiled the march.

The protesters later issued a two day ultimatum demanding withdrawal of the blockade, failing which they said they would go for hunger strike. They also demanded Ms. Zia’s arrest.

Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, who briefed the officials of the Foreign Ministry on Thursday on the current political situation, has termed the crisis a “man-made calamity” and warned the diplomats against the “vicious moves” to tarnish the country’s image. She however hoped to get out of the crisis. She told Parliament on Wednesday that that BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia is liable for legal action for the killing and injuries of scores innocent people.

Viber, Tango unblocked

The government on Thursday unblocked five widely-used instant messaging and VoIP applications, including Viber and Tango . They had been blocked on Monday on “security grounds”.

0 / 0
Sign in to unlock member-only benefits!
  • Access 10 free stories every month
  • Save stories to read later
  • Access to comment on every story
  • Sign-up/manage your newsletter subscriptions with a single click
  • Get notified by email for early access to discounts & offers on our products
Sign in

Comments

Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.